Learn to Surf in Byron Bay with Rusty Miller … USA Surfing Champion (1965)
Rusty, an iconic spirit of Byron Bay and vibrant local surfing identity, has lived and surfed in Byron Bay since the early 1970′s. He is the original surf coach here and over the years has developed a unique ‘how to learn’ surfing method and related this experience to many people who have since continued on as passionate surfers and/or friends.
Rusty, and his daughter Taylor who is also a well-known and respected local surfer, offer personalised/individual teaching that is specifically tailored to meet the needs of the person. The first session is not just standing up and riding the board, it is an assessment and a surfing lesson. Besides catching and standing upon waves, Rusty Miller Surf teaches procedures of safety and relates knowledge, attitude and philosophy of the world of surfing. At Rusty Miller Surf, you learn about surf culture and the magic of connecting with nature through surfing.
Rusty Miller Surf holds an exclusive license for teaching ‘one-on-one’ at Watego’s Beach, at the tip of Cape Byron Headland, Australia’s most easterly point and also at the iconic surfing beach The Pass.
Rusty has inspired and assisted many to ride waves safely and to harmonize with the energy of the ocean.
Rusty’s daughter Taylor, who has been passed on the Aloha surfing tradition, is available to teach with Rusty for families and / or private lessons. Taylor is a born and bred Byron Bay surfer and a fully qualified Surfing Australia coach. You can read more about Taylor here.
You will enjoy personalised surfing sessions with Rusty Miller Surf because they :
• Are great fun, inspiring and invigorating.
• Relate a unique and time-tested method on how to evolve your surfing skills.
• Emphasize safe procedures and will expand your knowledge of the ocean.
• Provide all surfing equipment ( boards, wetsuits, wax etc.)
• Usually conducts sessions at The Pass which is the most consistent and friendly wave to learn in Australia.
• Teach you in a holistic way, and how to teach yourself. Each lesson is 1.5 – 2 hours long.